Water damage can happen in any house. One day, your home is fine, and the next day your basement is flooded out because of a burst water pipe. Dealing with water damage can get expensive, and you may be asked to do this when you go to sell a house fast in Oklahoma City.
In this article, we’ll walk you through all the available options so that you can quickly sell your Oklahoma home, even if it has extensive water damage.
When you notice signs of water damage, you need to act fast. Mold can creep in within 24 to 48 hours. The longer water is on your floors, walls, or basement, the higher the chances of permanent damage. Here are some quick steps you can take after noticing water damage:
- Remove furniture, carpets, boxes, clothing, and anything else from the wet or flooded area.
- Move the items to a dry area.
- Use dehumidifiers or fans to dry the wet area. See if you can drain out the water.
- If you’re wading into a flooded space, make sure you’re wearing the right protective gear, like rubber boots. These will keep you safe from possible sharp objects beneath the water, and they’ll also protect against bacteria and other pathogens.
- Take pictures and videos of the flooded space from all angles. Doing so can help you make an insurance claim later on.
Repair As Much As Possible
Irrespective of whether you’re selling your water-damaged home or you wish to continue living in it, you need to fix it up as much as you can. Get quotes from several contractors and compare prices to find an option that works for you.
- When fixing up walls and floors, go for neutral colors that appeal to many buyers. Also, neutral colors can make a space look refreshing and clean, so these colors can help ensure a quick sale.
- There’s visible damage and hidden damage. A good contractor can help you handle both.
- Keep in mind that water damage is pervasive; it affects walls, pipes, fixtures, floors and just about everything else. So, get it repaired completely if you have the budget for this.
Sell The House As Is To A Cash Buyer
If you have a water-damaged house and you don’t have the money to fix it, the best option is to sell to a cash home buyer in Oklahoma City. It’s quite common for home sellers to sell their water-damaged houses directly to cash buyers. Doing so avoids the headaches associated with listing a home, and you avoid dealing with home inspections and shelling out tons of money on repairs too. A cash buyer will give you a fair offer and take the house off your hands without hassles. You can sell your home quickly and get on with your life.
Don’t Hide Any Water Damage
You may be tempted to sweep the damage under the carpet. You may slap a fresh coat of paint on the damaged area and try not to reveal it to prospective buyers. This is a terrible idea that can backfire quickly. Irrespective of whether you’re selling with help from an agent or selling directly to a cash buyer, it’s likely your home will go through some kind of inspection. And if the person you’re trying to sell to feels that they’ve been lied to, it’s likely they’ll drop the deal without a second thought. There have even been cases where buyers have taken sellers to court for failing to disclose water damage. Remember that honesty is always the best policy, so be up front about the extent of water damage (if it’s there).