If you’re selling a house in Norman, OK, getting an appraisal is an essential part of the process. As a home seller, understanding the various factors that affect your home’s value is important, and a thorough appraisal can help you avoid getting the short end of the stick.
In this guide, you can learn all about what an appraisal is, how it works, and how to ensure that your home’s appraisal proceeds smoothly.
What Is A Home Appraisal?
As a homeowner, understanding the difference between a home inspection and an appraisal works to your advantage. An inspection evaluates the condition of your home, whereas an appraisal determines the market value of your home.
How Does A Home Appraisal Work?
Like a home inspection, the appraisal starts with a third-party appraiser visiting your home. But, instead of checking to see whether your home is in good condition or not, the appraiser evaluates things to determine the market value of your home. They consider several factors like:
- Overall square footage
- The number of bathrooms and bedrooms
- Any recent updates or renovations that add to your home’s value
- The overall condition of the property
Generally, an appraiser will determine the value of your home by comparing it with similar-sized properties that were recently sold in the neighborhood.
Tips To Ensure That Your Home Does Well In An Appraisal
Though you can’t change certain aspects of your home like its square footage, you can still prepare it for the appraiser’s visit. Here are a few tips you can use to impress the appraiser and increase the market value of your home.
- Finish All Minor Repairs: Keeping your home in the best condition possible increases your property’s market value and appeal. Do all minor repairs around the house, like fixing broken windowpanes and adding a fresh coat of paint.
- Boost The Curb Appeal: The exterior of your home also matters. So, ensure that it looks its best by boosting the curb appeal. You can undertake minor landscaping projects to perk up the exterior.
- Complete A Few Cosmetic Upgrades: These may do wonders in boosting the appeal of your home. For example, you can consider a new kitchen countertop to make the kitchen appear bright and modern.
- Do A Deep Clean: Though not necessary, a clean home can subconsciously influence the appraiser. Get professional cleaners to do a deep clean of your house.
Tip For A Smooth & Hassle-free Sale
Want to avoid spending a fortune on repairs and preparing your home for the appraisal? Consider selling your house to Brick Town Home Buyers, the top cash home buyers in Norman, OK. While our appraisal checklist can help prepare your home for sale, there are still roadblocks that could pop up and make selling tough. For example, you may find that even though you have listed your home on the market, there are no potential buyers interested in the property. Or your real estate agent may ask you to fix up the house for a hefty price.
If you would like to streamline the home-selling process to avoid all these troubles, the easiest way is to sell your home for cash. We’ll provide you with a free, no-obligation offer. And, if you’re interested in our offer, we can purchase your home quickly and without any hassles so you can focus on the relocation. Interested in learning more? Get in touch with our team to get a free offer today!